Cycling and Skiing News and Stories from the Gunnison Valley

Cycling and skiing news and stories from the Gunnison Valley

Monday, June 20, 2011

Monday Trails update - Deadmans/Reno

I set out to do a bit of snow scouting this weekend.  From afar, some of the mid-elevation trails are starting to look dry, so I did a bit of exploration up Cement Creek.

First stop was to check out Reno Ridge Road.  Cement Creek road is clear (with some water crossings) all the way to Reno.  I stopped there, but judging from snowline, it's clear a good ways farther up.  Trail 400 probably needs a good bit of time still, but we'll just have to keep an eye on it.
I started up Reno road, dodging some snow but making decent progress until 10,200 feet, or 3-4 minutes of pedaling up the steep part after the first switchback.  Then I found this.
I'm guessing it may be passable farther up, but I didn't particularly feel like going for a postholing adventure.

Next up was Deadmans.  As expected, the switchbacks are clear until about 10,200 feet.  The saddle is at 10,700 ft and with a bit of post holing and patience, it's climbable.  The backside needs some love and time though.  

Parts are good.  Other parts...are wet.
I would classify the south face of Deadmans as 'Not ready yet'.  It may take a bit of time to dry out and repair the trail.

Farther up valley, Snodgrass is still closed as of Saturday and Lower Loop is still muddy but other trails are riding well.

The CBMR bike park is also open and lifts are running.

1 comment:

  1. Update. I had some friends try to connect Bear to Dr.'s Park on Saturday (6/25) and reported Bear being "really wet and muddy"

    ReplyDelete