Cycling and Skiing News and Stories from the Gunnison Valley

Cycling and skiing news and stories from the Gunnison Valley

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Road Biking the Gunnison Valley

I'll admit it.  I don't like road biking.  I'm a mountain biker. I like dirt, rocks, single-track. That is until a rock upended me, landing me in the ER. Just a sprained wrist, but no mountain biking for a while...   A couple of days on the trainer convinced me that road biking would be FANTASTIC.  So, with loaner aero bars I hit the road.
Gunnison to Crested Butte and back. Actually quite a nice ride. 135 has a wide shoulder, and someone wrote nice notes on the street encouraging, "this ain't no stinkin' wind".  I sensed some sarcasm....
Gunnison to Pitkin and back.  At Parlin you turn on to County road 76 which meanders up a beautiful valley along Quartz Creek.  Have you seen the Indian face?  Or been to the nice little country store at the far end of Pitkin with ice cream and cell phone reception? Or the restaurant in Ohio City that sells patch kits (Lifesavers!)?
And then I was hooked.  I was actually having fun exploring the Gunnison valley by road. And there was a challenge to be had. The "Out & Back Road Bike Series" put on by Gunnison Nordic. Apparently, I had already completed 2 of the 7 "gold" rides. Game on.
Gunnison to Taylor park and back.  A steady climb past towering rock spires in Taylor canyon, past the Taylor river lined with fisherman. The air gets cooler and as you pass the dam you are suddenly in the high country.  I never really imagined riding there from Gunnison. Freedom!
3 down 4 to go.   But they get bigger.  Monarch, Lake City, North Pass, Crawford?!?! These road bikers are crazy. Rock N' Roll has the details and passports if you are up to the challenge.  There are bronze, silver, gold, and platinum categories. Have you done these rides? I'd like to know what you think!

1 comment: